Basic course information: Spring 2023
02402 Introduction to statistics
Some motivating presentations
IBM Social Media Analytics Podcast by Henrik H. Eliassen, IBM (Slides from talk)
Statistics at Novo Nordisk by Principal Scientist and PhD in Chemistry from DTU Hanne Refsgaard
Skive Fjord Podcast by Jan K Møller, DTU (Slides from talk in English) (Danish podcast)
English podcast overview table
Danish podcast overview table
- Teacher: Md Saifuddin Khalid and Haja Kadarmideen
- Questions regarding signing up for the course and exam: AUS in Building 101
- Questions regarding projects: See the Projects page on how to work together and get help from TAs. In case of practical questions mail Peder Bacher
Course page on DTU Learn: https://learn.inside.dtu.dk/d2l/home/145395. Messages will be posted there, and the two mandatory projects should be also be summitted there.
- 30/1 2023 - 9/5 2023. See academic calendar
- Lectures: Spring: Tuesdays 13-15 Location: 303A, auditorium 42 (Capacity: 250)
Lectures are also available as podcasts.
- Exercises: Spring: Tuesdays 15-17 Location: Building 324 Room 030 (24), Room 040 (60), foyer 003 (18), foyer 004 (24), foyer 008 (24)
- Free online book (you don’t need to buy a book for this course). See the Book menu above and the Agendas.
- Printed book available from Polyteknisk Boghandel 10% student discount with this link
- Date: 14 May 2023 (see the DTU exam plan and your personal exam plan for more details).
- 4-hour (digital) multiple choice exam with questions available in both Danish and English.
- Find and practice previous exam questions and solutions.
Exam Structure and Assessment
The exam consists of 30 questions of “multiple choice” type. For each of the questions, 5 points are given for a correct answer, and -1 point is given for a wrong answer, and 0 points for not answering the question. For each question, there is only one correct answer. Technically, the exam system allows selecting more than one option but in that case 0 points are given.
The total number of points needed to obtain a specific grade or to pass the exam is determined after the exam and in collaboration with an external censor.
In order to be allowed to participate and pass the MCQ exam, each student must hand in two mandatory projects during the course and have these approved before the exam, with the following exceptions: Participants who have followed a previous version of the course without such projects or who have had two such projects approved in a previous version of the course are not required to hand-in the projects again. See more details on the Projects page.
Language of the Lectures
Course 02402 is offered in both Danish and English. The Danish version of the lectures is held during fall semesters.
Language, Communication and Information
- All written material is in English.
- Slides are provided in both languages (see here).
- The multiple-choice exam questions will be available in both languages.
- Messages will be given in English.
- During the Fall semester, live lectures will be held in Danish.
- Lectures in Danish are available as online podcasts via this link (recorded in Spring 2015).
- Lectures in English are available as online podcasts via this link (recorded in Spring 2017).
- See more information here: Course Data Base link for course 02402
- See also academic calendar